"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday Temptations

Yes, it is indeed Tuesday once again.  After a long weekend with SF, it is time to get back into the swing of things.  What all did we do while she was off?

Well, Thursday we decided to take the Blue Flame to San Jacinto Harley-Davidson to get the brake pedal replaced (warranty issue).  While we were there, my cap had come in.  This was wonderful news, as there is nothing worse than helmet hair with no cap to cover it.  I look silly in most caps any way, as I have a peanut head.  All the hair makes it appear I have a good sized skull under there, but no, it is small.  We always look around at their shirts while we are there, as Celina has the best stuff.  SF is a huge Looney Tunes fan and she found another new shirt and had to have it.  I didn't see anything that jumped out at me, so I wasn't going to get anything until they showed me the new tank top.  It is just a basic white wife-beater with a five point start in a silver-gray color with red, white and blue lettering.  Perfect for my birthday, so it came home as well.  We also had to get some brackets replaced (warranty work), so we were there a while.

After all the bike work was finished we had to get the stitches removed from the incision that the dermatologist had made to removed a few weeks prior.  In and out with a follow up in late July.  And the afternoon was ours.  The weather was perfect, so we headed out for more riding.  No place in particular but any time on the bike is well worth it.

Friday was a bad weather day, so we spent the day getting caught up on household items and planning for the next few weeks.  Now that we are part of the Hou-Tex Chapter, there are a lot events to keep track of and our calendar is an important accessory.  We did venture out to Don Carlos for a late lunch.  Some how lunch at 3:30 PM is more like an early dinner but either way we were ready for beer.  We shared mixed fajitas and the chips ad salsa kept coming.  Perfect way to spend a rainy and gloomy afternoon.  When we got home we settled in for the 6:00 PM news and then our Friday night shows.  I'm getting quite fond of our laid back home life.  We watched Ghost Whisperer, Medium and then Miami Medical.  You should know that almost any thing that Jerry Bruckheimer touches will be good and Miami Medical is no slouch.

Saturday got off to an odd start.  It looked overcast and that would cancel any ride on the motorcycle.  The yard crew showed up at 8:30 AM (really early for them) and SF was able to get them to pull out the cacti that had died over the winter.  They were huge and had three inch thorns.  They also trimmed the palms in the front yard with their special saw.  I showered while she was working with them, as I didn't really think that we would be riding.  Wrong, try again.  While I was in the shower, the bad weather moved to the north and missed us.  We suited up and headed to Resoft Park for the Chapter BBQ.

Mama duck and her babies





Mama duck and her babies










Chapter President










Washers Contest









There was BBQ from a local cooker.  We had brisket, chicken and sausage for meat choices and there was cole slaw, potato salad, beans, onions, pickles, jalapenos and bread.  The ladies had also brought desserts and there were chocolate cupcakes....enough said.  After we were finished eating, I wandered around looking at the wild life.  There was a nutria swimming about that had the ladies a little upset.  You see, it looks like a cross between a beaver and a very large rat.  They generally stay away from humans, even when food is involved.  I couldn't get a good picture of it but I did manage to get the mam duck and her four babies.  She had three yellow ones and one black one.  They were adorable!  While I was busy with wild life, SF got rooked into a game of washers.  Little did she know it was a tournament.  She and her partner one their first match and then their second.  It was looking like it was going to be a long afternoon when they lost the third game 15 to 12....They had been playing for about two hours.  After a pit stop and good byes to the group we headed home.

Sunday was the best ride.  We got up early (7:30 AM) and after a good breakfast we headed to Carlos TX.  If you take a look at this map, you will see Pearland in the bottom of the map and Carols (A marks the spot) up at the top near Huntsville.  Huntsville is where Stephanie, jack and Zoe reside.  It is also home to Sam Houston State University.  For those of you that have no clue about biker hang outs, you would love this place.  They serve one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten and the onion rings were beyond description.  Not to mention that 16 oz. draft Shiner was $2.75.  Perfect for a Sunday afternoon.  There was a band (Leannasaurus Rex) and the lead singer was really good.  It was the perfect way to spend the day.  Just the two of us, the open roads and the motorcycle.  We got home around 6:00 PM and hung out by the pool for a while so that the dogs could get outside.  All in all, a wonderful weekend with the woman I love.

Temptaions will be short this week.  I am working on the Calais Shawl and I couldn't be happier with it.  I am using some hand-dyed yarn that I received in a swap several years ago.  The pattern has two simple charts and is works up quickly.  I have been looking for patterns in particular that utilize sock yarn and I will be organizing them ion my Ravelry queue soon.  That will be a post all to itself...































I will post more about this project this week, as I plan on getting her finished as well as one of the lingering Pay-It-Forward gifts that was in the UFOs pile for way too long.

ETA: I added the link to the Sock It To Me Twice Swap from 2008, after Jen C was kind enough to jog my memory.  Jen - I have been looking at both of these beautiful skeins that you sent waiting for them to talk to me and the multi-hued blues just kept saying "Lace".  When I saw the Calais pattern I knew I had the right combo.  I have about twenty-two rows left before I can bind off and block...More pictures will follow!  Now if I can only decide what the solid blue skein keeps whispering...perhaps it needs to shout.

1 comment:

Jen C said...

Yeah!! I am so glad you were finally able to use the yarn!! The shawl is going to be gorgeous!!!