"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Random Things.....

As this weekend winds down, I am reminded that small changes in one's life can make huge differences. For example, what if you chose a different college? What if you chose a different career path? What if you moved to a new city?

As I come up on the one year anniversary of moving in with SF, I have been reflecting on how things have changed in my life. Memorial Day weekend will mark one full year of my full-time relationship with SF. I have not asked her how she feels about labels, so the only thing I can call it is a partnership. We do complete each other and our unique strengths and weaknesses combined make a wonderful union.

Why am I reflecting? Well, simply stated, I looked at how my life has changed since June 2008 and if those changes have been beneficial or not. I can say without a doubt that the new life has me healthier than I have been in over twenty years. Does that mean I am a poster child for health and fitness? No, not at all. It does mean that my body is weight that the doctor and I are happy with. It does mean that my cholesterol is at one of my best numbers ever. It does mean that I can and do exercise daily (except Sunday...). It does mean that I have run two high profile events this year with plans to do at least two more in the Fall. It means that I drink when I want to, not every night because it is just what we do.

It also means that I am very independent now. I have a number of things/hobbies that keep me busy and I am beginning to write novels again. I had forgotten how much I need writing as an outlet. I am knitting again without feeling guilty. I have not found a group here locally to knit with but I am still on the prowl. I have also reconnected with many of the bloggers that I had grown to love. So much has happened to many of them. I am also working towards getting myself back in college to finally knock that degree out once and for all.

My life has started to make sense and I don't let the little sucker punches set me back. For example, Megan has a way of working SWCNLBN into each conversation. Just this afternoon, she was in the middle of telling me that Nina is part Catahoula and part Lab. She was quick to point out that Nina was acting just like the behaviors of a Catahoula except when she spends too much time around Onyx. Immediately followed by the fact that SWCNLBN had knee surgery and will be getting the other knee done soon. When she first said her name, I said, "Who?"...funny, hearing her name now seems so foreign. I like that too. I didn't bite on the bait, so she moved on.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you read back in the blog prior to June 2008, you will find that I thought my life with SWCNLBN was this good as well. We were in love and could have had a wonderful life if we both had been able to get all the skeletons out of the closets and dealt with. There are things that the girls would never have been able to see or do had my path not crossed with hers. And, my current life would be vastly different if I had not acted on what I felt when we met. So, I cannot ignore that part of my past. Instead, I must draw the lessons learned from it and move forward.

Life is indeed a journey. I continue to evolve. I rise and soar. I float and I drift. I am a mother, a lover, a partner and an equal. More importantly, I am myself and that is something to be quite proud of.

While SF is out of town for the next few days, I will be finishing the Pay-It-Forward gift that has been on the needles far too long. I will also be starting a few items for myself. It is high time that I make some things for me to show off my skills. I have a tank pattern that I will be using Artyarns Regal Silk. I also have a shawl pattern that I will be making using Debbie Bliss Cathay. Part of the wonder that is Ravelry lies in the ability to look up yarn and find suitable patterns. Take for instance, sock yarn. One knows that socks are a given, but what other patterns are people utilizing with this beautiful yarn? Oh, I have added so many to my queue that I will be knitting until the day I die to get through them all. But, that is the beauty of the craft.

One final note before I head off to bed...I finished Stephanie's BMG Footies this morning. I made them in Crystal Palace Panda Silk Yarn (Color 4006 - Plum Tones). For those of you that knit or crochet and are reading this....if you have not used this yarn, find any excuse to try it. I love the way it feels and the patterns it made on the footies are wonderful. See for yourself....



Stephanie has a big foot for a girl/woman. She wears a size 10.5/11, so they look really big, but SF wears a 10 and they look like a perfect fit as she was gracious enough to try them on for me....

Okay...enough for today....I have an impressive list building for Tuesday....I feel the mojo returning....

No comments: