"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday....

Well, this was one of those weekends that I could have slept right through.  As a matter of fact, I don't even really remember what we did that evening.  I know we watched TV but for the life of me I can't recall what it was.  I wonder sometimes why I can't recall such little things but then I am reminded that the brain recalls what it is trained to remember, so the TV show must not have been all that stimulating to the brain.

Saturday was slow and easy.  SF is still not 100% yet, so we did some light yard work.  The temps here combined with the humidity were such that I insisted that we be finished before 11:00 AM.  We managed to get it all done by 10:30 AM.  After showers, we spent the remainder of the day inside with the remote and the AC.  We watched sports during the day and then we watched Three Rivers and Cold Case that night.  SF remembered that I love Katherine Moennig  AKA Shane McCutcheon and I know how much she loves Cold Case.  Sadly, both shows have been canceled by CBS, so after we catch the remaining episodes, we will be looking for replacements until the fall lineup starts again.

Sunday was slow and easy as well.  We read the paper and ate out breakfast while we discussed the day ahead.  SF was feeling well enough to want to get in the pool, so we agreed to do that early on so that we were out before the inferno starts in the afternoon.  We spent about three hours in the pool before she announced that she was hungry.  Actually I think she said she was starving.  I was as well, so we pondered our options since we were in our swim suits.  We agreed on Taco Bell.  We dried off a bit, threw on tank tops and shorts over our suits and headed to get grub.  I will not say what we got but there were eight items in the bags...four each.

We got home and ate while we watched the Atlanta Dream beat the San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA).  It was not pretty but it was great to see Sancho Lyttle play.  I saw her play as a member of the Houston Cougars and as a member of the Houston Comets.  She is an exciting player that seems to get better as she ages, not that she is old.  She was born in September 1983, so she is only a month older than Stephanie.

We also watched the America versus England soccer game.  I remember watching the FIFA events in 2006.  Megan was excited, as she was just back from her Summer School trip to Italy.  We watched as many matches as SWCNLBN would allow.  We were thrilled when Italy won.  I think that Megan wore her Italy shirts for a month.  I watched today as Italy finished with a draw/tie.  I'm so glad that there is ESPN3.com available!  I will be watching as many of the matches as I can get away with....

We also watched the Celtics versus the Lakers last night.  I was cheering like crazy for the Celtics.  We had watched the Thursday event when Big Baby Davis drooled.  We had also watched the press conference and I was howling with laughter at the Shrek and Donkey comment.  It was a hoot!  I want one of the posters that we saw being waved at the game last night.  We will also probably stay up late on Tuesday and watch the next game unless the Celtics fall too far behind, which I hope will not happen.

All of this got me to thinking about my sports identity.  I realized that over the past 28 years I have always rooted for whom ever my partner rooted for.  Case in point, when I was married to John, he cheered for the Steelers, the Penguins, Penn State, Pitt, the Phillies and the Greenbay Packers.  When I was with SWCNLBN we rooted for the Buffalo Bills, Ohio State and the Tampa Bay Rays.  The year I was in my apartment, I rooted for the Greenbay Packers because I identified with Aaron Rodgers.  I also rooted for the Houston Comets and the Houston Astros.  When push came to shove I also rooted for Tampa Bay, as Carl Crawford is from Jeff Davis High School right here in Houston.  I also made sure that I rooted for the Houston Texans.  Much to the chagrin of SF, I kept up with SFASU and Sam Houston teams as well.  Being from Tennessee, I also watched as much Vols sports as I could get via Comcast.  College football and basketball lends itself to me spending a lot of time in front of a TV, cheering for teams as I decide who warrants my attention.

Have I maintained that self identity?  I'm not sure.  I would like to think so, but I have been thinking about it.  I know that I would be rooting for the Celtics right now regardless of SF's preference, as I don't really like Kobe.  No offense to his skills, but he cheated on his wife regardless of what he told the public...so he is slime like all the rest of the sports figures that can't seem to keep their parts safely inside their zippers when they are away from their respective partner, be it a wife, a fiance or a girlfriend.  I will be looking at who I have been rooting fro lately and making certain that I remain loyal to the teams I want to endorse, not the ones that SF wants to endorse, unless it is a team that I already have selected.

Knitting on oldies has continued.  I will post about that Tuesday.  I also will have a double duty Temptations, since I just realized that I didn't post last week's.  And, yes, there are changes to the blog.  Tell me what you think....

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oy! No more Cold Case? That's a shame. Even though I didn't watch it every week, I like that show.