"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday

What does one do an a generic Fall weekend?  It seems that as of late I have not been in the mood to be outside as much as I should have been.  Fall is an odd time of year here in this part of Texas.  The mornings have been crisp and I have enjoyed my early morning runs outdoors.  The afternoons have been mild, for us that is always a plus.  And the humidity levels have been low.  All in all, the perfect weather to want to be outside doing something.  But me, no way.  I have felt like a slug, a mole or a bear that wants to hibernate.

I think that it was part of some weird depression and it just had to work its way out of my system.  Thankfully, it has done so.  It happened to do so on a Monday of all days, but I'll accept that and move onwards.  Funny how the mind and the body work against us, regardless of what we plan.  These two devices hold their path and make us deal with them before allowing us to move on the path we thought we wanted.

At the moment, I am sitting in the Crane Garden in the Dunn Tower of the Methodist Hospital.  For the next two days I will be sitting here with a laptop as part of my job.  Hospital lobbies are interesting places indeed.  I am camped out with knitting (Shurt'ugal Socks) and a book (The Victorian Internet) as well.  Sitting here on the laptop does not garner much attention from onlookers at all; however, when I start to knit or read that anonymity disappears.  Even the dogs that were here for a while got less attention than I did while I knit.

Normally, knitting allows me to blend in.  I'm not sure why it seemed so foreign in the setting today.  Usually people get comfort from watching me knit.  I can only surmise that today it evokes memories of a lost loved one and has made them a wee bit melancholy.  I do not take it personally, I just observe and forge on.  At the moment, there is a wonderful piano concert being played in the lobby, so the voices have lowered and the mood has lifted.  The Starbucks seems to be the loudest noises to be heard.

Back to the weekend.  Friday I left work at 12:30 PM and headed to Upstairs Studio.  In was hoping that the gals there could kick the funk right out of me.  No such luck.  I did enjoy their company and had a great time fondling yarn combinations for a hat.  I headed home hoping that the cats, dogs and SF would be the answer.  No such luck.  SF was out on the motorcycle.  The dogs were happy to see me for supper and a trip outdoors but not much else.  The cats, well, after all they are cats and it is my job to serve them.  I headed to bed at 7:30 when not even more knitting or any reading could snap me out of it.  I felt doomed.

It is amazing what the power of human touch and TLC can actually do.  At some point in the night SF pulled me up against her and I slept like a rock against her back until 9:00 AM.  That may not seem late, but I normally get up at 6:00 AM on Saturdays.  After we ate, we had a heart to heart conversation, which both of us had been avoiding but knew we needed.  After we were done and in agreement, it felt as if a HUGE weight had been lifted from my shoulders.  Both of us looked relieved.  We decided to get cleaned up and take the motorcycle out.

We went to the Mucky Duck to get concert tickets for the November Sisters Morales show.  From there we went to Casa Buick GMC to test drive a vehicle so that I could get a free tee shirt and get registered for the Terrain that will be given away during this year's Lone Star Rally.  I test drove and Acadia.  I love it but it is a gas hog and is really expensive!  From there we took the scenic way home.  It was almost 7:00 PM when we got home and the dogs were way past due for their supper.  I fed them and SF got our dinner ready.  We didn't even turn on the TV until almost 8:00 and that was just to see some of the college football scores.  We were both so tired that we went to bed at 9:45.

Sunday was just as wonderful.  Again that comfort of sleeping up against the one you love.  We slept until 9:00 AM again.  If the dogs and cats could have taken care of them selves I think we would have stayed in bed longer.  Alas, that is not the case.  After breakfast, we agreed that I would do house work and she would tackle the palms.  So the day went.  We both seemed happy and back on the same page.  The evening was quiet and we spent quality time together before we both drifted off to sleep.  She will be out of town the rest of this week, leaving very early Tuesday morning.  I will miss her now that we are "back to normal".

I have been knitting up a storm and now that I feel better I'll get some pictures up and post about all the projects.

Have a great week and don't forget that no one can read your mind.  If you have something to say, please say it.  You will feel better and it could be the very thing that the other person needed to hear as well.

2 comments:

My Five Sons said...

Hi,just pulling past to introduce myself as part of the ISE9 team!! I had a look at your bike posts and wow love the pink bike!! Im getting my license soon and so looking forward to getting out!!
And yes it helps to talk and have a good listening who wont judge!

knittymuggins said...

Glad to hear you're knitting and feeling better! And glad to hear that you cleared the air between you and SF :) That's always a good feeling! Can't wait to see what you've been working on and keep up the smilin'!