"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, October 7, 2007

How to Deal With This....

I have struggled with how to deal with this. Wifey's sister lost her husband suddenly early Saturday morning. He was only 48 years old. They had just celebrated their 26th wedding anniversary in July and their youngest daughter had her 16th birthday on Wednesday. Wifey was on a plane to NY by noon yesterday and will not be home until the 14th.

How do you comfort a family member so dear to your partner that has suffered such a tragic loss? How do you help the kids? How do you help your partner?

I will be strong. I will take care of all the responsibilities of the house and our two daughters. But what else can I do?

This is so sad and tragic. It makes me treasure my life and the life that Wifey and I have tried to lay the solid foundation for ever so much. Posts this week could be a bit quirky, so bear with me. I am looking forward to the CAP visit next Saturday and will be knitting like crazy on the Buckeye socks for my father-in-law. I will also try to finish the Haruha Scarf and another secret object this week as well. If all three of these get finished, I think that I will start on some very special socks for my sister-in-law. I think that she might need something to help her and let her know that I am with her too.

Please, hug your kids, call that friend or relative that you have not talked with in forever, tell that special someone that you really do love them even if you don't always show it, and most of all, remember that today might be your last, so live it with that in mind.

7 comments:

Miss Me said...

i'm so sorry for your loss. i think that the special socks sound like a terrific idea because you're right - what can you say or do? but a special pair of socks with every stitch representing love and caring are pretty perfect.

Unknown said...

My deepest sympathy for your loss. Special socks are the perfect idea--it's something she can wear often that will remind her of your love.

Lisa said...

Thank you both. This has been so hard on everyone. He was such a wonderful man and a devoted father/husband. He will be missed by so many people. I wish I could be there too, but it is not possible this time. It is times like this that friends are most appreciated.

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news! Please send my positive knitty vibes their way. You can only be helpful by being you and being there for them and for Wifey.

Anonymous said...

I'm so,so sorry. These tragedies are so tough on everyone. It serves to remind us that what's important is not a big diamond ring or a fancy new car, but our families. I wish you and Wifey and your families the best.

Lorette said...

My deepest sympathies are with you and your family. You're in my thoughts.

Jess P. said...

How would you feel about knitting your SIL a shawl/throw? Sometimes all you want is to wrap something warm around your shoulders and cry for the person you have lost.