"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Scavenger Hunt Swap Q&A

  • Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been at your craft? - Both.  I have been crocheting since I was ten (38 years) and knitting since I was twelve (36 years)
  • Do you spin? What type of spinning do you do? - Not just yet; however, the gang at Upstairs Studio has been tempting and teasing and I may just have to give in.  The shop owner's husband made some that they sell for $12.00 each and that is a reasonable cost to get started.... I can blame this on Amy... :)
  • Are there any other crafts that you participate in? - Interesting segue.  Yes, I have been known to work up counted cross stitch pieces at random times and I love to sew but haven't done so in about three years, so I am getting that "itch".
  • What are your favorite yarns/fibers? - I love the way that superwash merino feels as I work with it but I also love thinks like sugar can and bamboo.  I love combinations like cashmere with cotton and silk with cotton.  The humidity here mandates that yarn have a certain breathing capacity, so I am always on the lookout for new yarns and love to experiment.  I still like the classics for shawls, scarves and mitts but sweaters need to go with the climate.
  • What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers? - I don't really have a least favorite.  For whatever reason, I think that all yarn has a purpose and sometimes you just need to work with things like acrylic.  I'm weird like that but I know that a new mom could not handle a blanket that has to be hand-washed , especially if she is not a knitter.  Function will at times dictate the yarn I choose.
  • Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a chance? - I've never used Madelinetosh, Cascade 220, Spud and Chloe and a host of indie yarns that I see my fellow knitters rave about.
  • What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? - Crochet usually is utilized for baby blankets these days because I love how quickly they work up and how warm they are.  Favorite knitting projects lately are shawls/shawlettes and socks; however I've been experimenting with a few cap patterns and may break out and knit up a slew of them.
  • What are you currently working on? Anything you plan to start this autumn? - Currently I am working on the USS Migration socks for Lizzie at Upstairs Studio, the Green Gable for myself and the Red Hot for myself.  I have the Multnomah ready to cast on as well as a pair of fingerless mitts from the remaining Cathay skein.  I also have a test shawl for Lizzie waiting on me when I finish the socks.  I'm also making my mom a few cowls for Christmas and my dad a few hats for Christmas.
  • Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn? - A few still elude me.  I have never done anything in entrelac or had the courage to steek.  I'm sure that there are more but these two haunt me a bit.
  • Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift? - Yarn winder, yes.  Swift, not yet but working on it.
  • Where/how to you keep you needles/hooks? - I have a vintage Martha Washington sewing cabinet that houses all of my knitting and crochet needles/hooks as well as all my other supplies.  The two side pockets are perfect for the needles and yarns and the two drawers hold a myriad of things.  The top opens up and I have stitch holders and all sorts of goodies there.
  • Do you collect anything? - Hull Pottery, Pocket Dragons, wind chimes and pint beer glasses.  More than enough things if you ask SF.
  • What is your favorite type of music? Are you MP3 ready? - I don't have a favorite.  I love almost all forms of music and have a very eclectic assortment on all of my MP3 devices.  Absolutely ready!  I have three different iPods and a Sony Walkman MP3 player.
  • Do you like sweets? What are your favorites? - YES!  Favorite hands down is chocolate.  I also love jelly bellies in most flavors and silly thing like Circus Peanuts, Orange Slices and Necco Wafers.  I don't like coconut or nuts all that much.
  • What is your living situation like? Any pets? Children? - I have two grown daughters, Stephanie (27) and Megan (24), a son in law, Jack, a furry grand daughter, Nina (part chocolate lab and part Catahoula) and one grand daughter, Zoe who will be two on February 1, 2011.  I have two cats, Eraser who just turned eight (half Maine Coon and half American Bobtail) and Sassy who turned five in February (half Burmese and half Siamese).  I live with my partner, affectionately called SF in the blog world and her two French Bulldogs, Ambre and Frankie, who are both five.  We have a lovely home with a salt water pool and enjoy riding motorcycles when the weather permits and we love music and sports, especially the Lady Vols!
  • Are you allergic to anything? - Artificial sweeteners but I don't think anyone will send me those.  Other than that nothing, except I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.  Don't mind cat or dog hairs at all.
  • Do you have an online wish list (Amazon, Etsy, Loopy Ewe, etc.)? Please include links for your swap pal. - Not really but I should.  I see so many things that people love from Esty shops and I bookmark them but never create a wish list...
  • Is there anything else that you would like your pal to know? - I'm an open book.  Just ask if you have a question that I didn't cover.  I like surprises from places where my spoiler lives.  It adds to the fun of the swap. 
And because Amy forgot, colors:  I have a long running love affair with blue (just not neon or baby shades) but I am using a lot more purple and have been looking at green.  I am a sucker for a good red and anything with the name Ruby in it.  I tend to avoid almost all shades or orange, unless they have a lot of blue undertones.  I avoid neon colors and pastels unless they are specifically requested by the person that they are for or unless it is a baby gift.  Otherwise, I'm game to try anything, especially if it has been hand dyed.

    No comments: