"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, August 13, 2010

Wine Tasting

I just realized that I had forgotten to publish the post about the wine tasting event that I attended WAY back on July 28th.  It has been sitting in the draft area feeling all left out.

One of our favorite places to listen to live music has a wonderful Wine Room.  I had never had the opportunity sit within the area so when I saw that Rusty was offering wine tasting on Wednesdays after work I was thrilled.  I was a bit disappointed that they start at 5:30 PM which meant that SF would never be able to attend with me, as she doesn't get to the Park-N-Ride lot until 6:00 PM and then it would take her another thirty minutes to get to the Duck.  I was also keenly aware that wine was off her diet until she has reached the target weight.

Nonetheless I decided that I wanted to attend and felt pretty good about doing it alone.  I have gotten quite adept at going and doing things by myself and I like the freedom that affords me.  I skipped the first one as it was devoted entirely to the Reds and with the heat as high as it is I wanted Whites.  I was ecstatic when the next email came out announcing that the wines for tasting would be Whites!

"Beat the Heat with Summer Whites" was the subject of the email.  It announced the wines and the host Sommelier.  I knew the company he was from and knew how they trained their staff so I was excited.  Cost was a mere ten dollars a person and that could be applied towards the purchase of any bottle that was tasted that evening.  What a deal!

First up was Bisol Jeio Prosecco.  It was a wonderful selection to start off the tasting.  It was light and refreshing.  I could imagine using it in a mimosa as well.  It is a wonderful selection from Italy!

Next up was Sauvion Vouvray.  I must admit that I was hesitant about this one, as I remember the Chenin blanc wines from the 70's that were very popular and I wasn't sure I was that kind of wine drinker, at least not yet.  I must admit that I was pleasantly surprise by this one.  I could smell the honey easily and it was smooth and a bit velvet-like on the palate.  I can see why it had such a foothold with the White drinkers, as it was perfect for appetizers and for mingling with friends and family.

The third one was Firestone Estate Riesling.  We could have ended right here as far as I was concerned.  This is one of my all time favorite types of wine and I seldom meet one I don't like.  I knew I would fall hard for this one as soon as I read, "...flavors of Tupelo honey, melon and apricot...".  This is one that I can drink just to drink but love to have it when I am eating spicy food, or at least as spicy as I can stand it.  I think that most everyone in attendance loved this one.  And I know that it is one I have purchased since that initial bottle.

We moved on to Four Vines "Naked" Chardonnay.  I will freely admit that up until I tasted this Chardonnay I was not a big fan.  It seemed that I had to spend a lot of money to get good taste.  This one goes for around eleven dollars a bottle which is fairly inexpensive.  They recommend oysters and I can see why.  I think that the citrus and mineral tastes would be perfect companions.

Our final selection was Miner Viognier.  Historically I love this one.  It is very prevalent in the Finger Lakes and I am quite fond of wines from that area.  It was difficult to decide on this one after the Chardonnay.  In all fairness, I think that I will have to purchase this one again to give it the respect it deserves.

So, have you had any of these?  If so, please share your thoughts.  If not, share some whites that you have tried and love to recommend!

2 comments:

Amy Darsie said...

Hmmm - I haven't had any of those. I'll to keep a look out! We've gotten away from wine since John started brewing, but with wanting to cut some calories, I'm picking it up again.

Lorette said...

I haven't tried any of those, either. I'm not a fan of sweeter wines, and most chardonnay doesn't do much for me. I might have to try the Four Vines, unoaked chardonnay can be OK.

We had a Semillon from Brokenwood winery last night, it was good. Yorkville Cellars also makes a really good Semillon blend, and a white blend called Eleanor of Aquitane that is delicious. I'm also a fan of South African white wines, they sometimes can be a little hard to find, but I rarely open one that I don't like.