"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, August 9, 2010


Well, we lived through yet another weekend only to end up at Monday all over again.  Hopefully if you are in a heat advisory you are staying in the AC and getting enough fluids.  I can tell you that the pool water temperature this morning at 4:30 AM was 86 degrees and the air temperature was 87 degrees, at least according to the equipment that monitors our pool.  The heat has depleted the chlorine levels so we had to add another fifty pound bag of salt this morning before we left for the day.

So, Thursday SF came home and was as pale as a ghost.  It seems that some one kind enough to pass on a little bug that was going around her office.  She had thrown up around 4:30 in the afternoon and slept all the way home on the van pool.  When she got home, I sent her straight to bed.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $100 dollars.  And do not pass it on to me please and thank you.  I took a bottle of water into her and put it on her night stand.  She slept from 6:30 PM that night until 8:00 AM the next morning.  The only reason she woke up is because I needed to see if she was going to go to the dentist.  A resounding no.  I called them and rescheduled her appointment and left for the day.  I got back around 4:30 PM and she was still asleep.  She had not even been aware that the day had gone and that I had been out of the house.  She got up and I got her some 7-Up.  She ate some scrambled eggs and a piece of toast but complained that her head hurt so bad that it was making her sick.  Back to bed.  She slept the remainder of Friday and did not get up until around 9:45 AM on Saturday.  Her color was back and her appetite was as well.  I made her stay in the AC and she was happy to do so.  We did venture out long enough to go to the movies but that was all.  Sunday was also a low key day with me keeping her in the AC and hydrated.  It seems she is over it all now and I did not catch it but it was not an ideal weekend.

Yes, we did go to a movie.  Movies are one of our favorite past-times.  We were also going to celebrate out second anniversary of our first official date.  On 08/08/08 we went to a movie as our first official date.  That seems so distant now but still fun to remember.  We decided to go and see "The Kids Are Alright".  We had seen the reviews on TV and read about it and so we agreed it was worth seeing.  Funny how life often seems to resonate art.  There were pieces of this film that hit a little too close to home and had me sniffling a few times.  There were other times when it was hard not to choke on the popcorn from laughing.  All in all it was a good movie but I could have waiting and gotten it on Netflix I think.  As we were leaving SF reminded me that the movie we saw on our first date provided me with the same range of emotions.  We laughed and I asked her if she was okay having such an emotional woman in her life.  She called me a little idiot and I knew we were ok.  Just to set the record straight, little idiot is a term of endearment when it comes from her.

I have been knitting up a storm as of late.  My dear friend Joe posted about a secret project and when I commented he was worried about the outcome.  Curious as I am, I ran to the stash and grabbed some sock yarn, cast on and knitting away.  A flurry of emails drifted between us and then I realized that I was comparing apples to oranges.  So, I ran back to the stash and found two skeins of JustSoya from a swap and cast on again.  It took about 15 hours and I had the second one completed.  Note that Sassy decided to supervise.  I think she thought that if she sat on the pattern and my notepad that I would stop and pet her.  No dice.  Proof below:

I will tell you that the JustSoya looks wonderful and feels divine but was a pain to work with.  It tended to be a bit too splitty for me, especially with the lace application (ssk/k2tog/s2kp2o).  I like the fact that it is machine washable but would not purchase it myself.  This was a true DK weight yarn, so I was able to do the pre-blocking measurements and after-blocking measurements and report back to Joe so he would have more insight into his own.  The Handy Dandy will be gifted to my neighbor Jeannie.  She saw me taking pictures of it and fell in love with the color.  She and her husband Pat have decided that it is time for him to retire and they will be moving to outside Knoxville as soon as they can get their house here sold.  We will miss them immensely but we have been planning to retire near Knoxville ourselves so we will see them again.  Plus we can always go visit!

I have also been working on my Clementine.  I have one whole half completed and am about one quarter of the way on the second half.  After looking at other projects on Ravelry I think that I will do a three needle bind off in place of the Kitchener that is called for.  Pictures below:

I am also working on the Red Robin for the Finish-A-Long.  I am not sure if I will get the pants done but I will get the shirt finished easily.  I'll post pictures of it before the 13th, as that is the deadline for the contest.

Okay, off to find a recipe for Mahi Mahi.....


Amy said...

Ooo .. that shawl is so pretty. I love the color and the way the yarn lays.

I hope SF is feeling better. I was feeling crappy last week, so I totally feel her pain.

knitguyla said...

Wow, I feel famous! Your/My shawl is magnificent! I hope mine blocks as lovely as yours did. I still haven't decided about the YOs but seeing your version gives me faith.

I hope SF is completely recovered. I truly believe that sleep and a good "sweat through the night" can cure almost anything.

Thanks for all your help. Love ya, Joe (yeah, it's me people, don't crowd around). ;-)