"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tuesday Temptations

I missed posting this weekend. So, first I will catch you up....

Saturday the mattresses for the bed were delivered at 9:00 AM. I spent the morning washing all my clothes so that I could get it all done in preparation for this week. I also had three weeks worth of ironing that was overtaking the apartment. I worked up to 3:00 PM and got myself ready for the Christmas Party.

The host couple's house was beautiful. They had won their subdivision's award for best lights. They also had two trees. One was a cream and gold theme and the other was flamingos. The food was fabulous and the company was even better. We had a White Elephant exchange and it was so much fun. There were 14 of us and I had number 5. My first pick was two silver bags tied together. One contained Asti and the second contained edible underthings. One for each partner (male and female)...and they were the candy on a string type. My face turned about sixteen shades of red. Needless to say, they did not remain in my possession for long. I ultimately brought home a tool kit. It has all kinds of nifty tools that I needed but had not purchased.

Sunday was laid back. I finished the remaining ironing and worked on afghan squares for the Pine Ridge Reservation project. I also snuck out and picked up part of SF's present. I got her a piece of the Comets floor from the Summit when it was damaged by Tropical Storm Allison. It comes complete with a certificate of authenticity and I am so excited. Part two of the gift will be getting it framed in a shadow box once she tells me what color the rest of her frames are in the memorabilia room. No, I still have not seen or been to her place. Not time yet for the waltz to increase. No rush on my part and if it is to be it will be. I also have a mechanic shirt from Hellanbach. MEOW! I also have Lisa Leslie's book for her.

I managed to get all of the gifts wrapped and under the tree. I am looking forward to this first Christmas on my own. New traditions and no pressure to get the perfect gift for a couple that has no real need for anything from us common folk.... Instead, I will be having a wonderful dinner Christmas Eve with SF and exchanging gifts with her. Christmas Day, I plan on getting together with Trouble and Jack first. If Munchkin can squeeze me in since she is starting with someone else other than her mother, I'll see her as well. If not, she and I will need to have Christmas another day. I am looking forward to Christmas dinner with SF at the same house as Thanksgiving Day dinner and then a movie in the afternoon. I think we are going to see that new Brad Pitt movie...

In lieu of my normal temptations, I wanted to take this time and forum to thank everyone for their love and support this past six months. I will not name each of you here, as you know who you are and what part you have played, and continue to play. I owe three of you packages and I plan to get them in the mail over then next two weeks. I wanted to avoid the holiday mailing frenzy and make sure that you each receive them after the new year begins. I also want to thank melaswell for the awesome music mix she sent me! I think I am totally in love with you woman! You ROCK! Talk to that landlord about getting that hole in your ceiling and let me know when I can "drop" in... ;) Boston here I come!

I also want to take this time to wish each of you the best holiday season possible. I hope that you enjoy your family and friends, your children/grandchildren/nephews/nieces, and the joys that sharing yourself with each of them brings. There is a song I am reminded of that reminds us that everyday should be Christmas, not because of the gift frenzy but the love that we share with everyone. How fortunate I am to have learned to look within myself for strength and happiness. I am stronger and more self-confident and looking forward to all that lies ahead of me in the coming new year.

I am looking forward to closing out this year and ringing in the new one. I am enrolled in college and I will be taking a history class and a web design class the first semester. I am also scheduled to take two CLEP tests within the next thirty days. If I pass them, will have four classes left and I will have my degree. For the first time in my life, I am doing this because I want to control my destiny. I no longer feel compelled to finish in order to meet the measure of anyone. I know how intelligent I am and it is a shame that I need a degree to be accepted, but it is a price that I am now excited to pay. No longer will ANYONE be able to hold the fact that they have a degree and therefore are superior to me over my head!

Helen Ready said it best, "I am woman hear me roar in numbers to strong to ignore"!

Happy Holidays to each of you and may all that God and your fellow man/woman share with you enrich you beyond words!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Happy holidays to you too. Glad the music is making things rock a little harder this season.

Anonymous said...

SOAR, BABY, SOAR!!!!!!!

Leah said...

Merry Christmas sweetie!