"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, November 19, 2007

Sock It To Me Part Deaux

1. How long have you been knitting? Do you consider yourself beginner, intermediate, advanced? - I have been knitting since I was 12, so about 33 years. I consider myself an advanced intermediate.
2. How long have you been knitting socks? - I have been knitting socks off and on for the last 20 years. But steadily for the last year.
3. What are your favorite fibers to work with? - That depends on the project. For socks I love the Regia yarns and Socks That Rock yarns. I have been using Claudia's Handpainted for a pair and the colorways are great. I want to try some of the others that I have seen people using, so this swap might be the right time.
4. What is your favorite color? - Blue, blue, blue, purple, and some pink as long as it is not too girly. Blue can run the gambit from Navy to pale, as long as it is blue it can't be bad. I can handle red too as long as it is more blue and not orange.
5. What are your current WIPs (works in progress)? - Currently I am working on Buckeye Socks, a Haruha Scarf, Cherie Amour, Meadow (Rowan Vest), two Pay-It-Forward surprises, and three other pair of socks for Christmas gifts. I am also trying to get to several of the 11 UFO's that are pleading to be finished or frogged.
6. Name your favorite yarns, (brand, fibers, colors, etc.). - I love the Rowan Cashsoft and Cashcotton. Come to think of it, there are numerous others that are quite yummy too. I love yarns in general that feel good before they become something. If they feel good before they go through the transformation, they are sure to feel better afterwards. I love bamboo lately and the Berroco glace is one of my other favorites for draping, especially in top down knitting.
7. What are some yarns/fibers that you stay away from. - Really, there aren't many. I think that they all have a place. I use acrylics for projects that are going to charity and to the preemie wards, because they can stand up to the commercial washing machines and the regulations that hospitals face. I base the yarn on the person who is the receiver as often as possible because he/she might have allergies and I hate to assume anything. Natural fibers are safe and fun but alot of the heavy wools are not good here in Texas. It is too humid and we don't usually have the temperatures necessary to need them.
8. What is your family situation? (Married, kids, pets?) - I am as married as Texas will allow. Wifey and I have been together ten years (officially on 11/30). I have two daughters, Trouble (24) and Munchkin (21 3/4), and Wifey has done all that she can to be the parent that they need her to be. We have a dog named Onyx and two cats, Sassy and Eraser.
9. Name some of your hobbies. - Besides the obvious, I have been known to crochet, cross-stitch, lap quilt, sew, garden, cook, and golf. I ride bikes too, but that's more for leisure/exercise. I've been dabbling with writing a novel and I am participating the the National Novel Writing Month.
10. Name some of your favorite movies. - I love old Joan Crawford movies. I also love: Christmas in Connecticut, almost anything with Sean Connery (the only James Bond), ditto for Jodie Foster, and A Walk in the Clouds.
11. Do you collect anything? - Besides yarn, I collect Hull Pottery, Depression and Elegant Glass, and antique furniture. Wifey would tell you that I collect Ruby rings too.
12. Do you like to read? - I am a voracious reader and I have three books working at all times. One for bed, that is usually science fiction/fantasy, one at work, which is usually technical, and then one for whatever. I love Banned Book Week and try to read as many as possible from the list that I have never read before.
13. Do you own an iPod or mp3 player? - I have a purple Sony Walkman (2GB) that is totally loaded with music.
14. What are your favorite type of knitting needles? - I don't have a favorite. For me, there are certain needles that I like for certain yarns. I do prefer circulars to DPN's for socks though.
15. What knitting notion could you not live without? - My portable tape measure, my gauge checker, and my portable note pad.
16. Who are some of your favorite designers? - I love EZ and her daughter and Barbara Walker from old school perspectives. From newer schools, Cookie A and Norah Gaughan.
17. Do you subscribe to any magazines? (Knitting or otherwise.) - I get Garden Gate and Golf for Women. Wifey and I both get National Geographic. I don't subscribe to any knitting magazines, although I did have a subscription to Vogue Knitting from 1982 to 1994. I prefer to buy an issue when I see something that I want to make or that a friend has recommended.
18. When is your birthday? - July 4, 1962 (Yep, I'm as old as dirt)
19. Do you have a "wishlist", (on Ravelry, Froogle, or Amazon)? - I'm building up steam to post it on Ravelry, but otherwise no.
20. Do you have a Ravelry ID? - Rubyringz
21. If you had a sheep, what would you name it? - Ruby

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - that is quite a list for Christmas. I wanted to knit almost all the gifts, but it never does work that way for me. I am almost done though, and will end up with a hat, a shawl, and a sweater to gift. All things considered, I think for me, that's good.

Good luck with all of your knitting!

Miss Me said...

you can never have too many ruby rings... or emeralds... or diamonds... okay - all jewellery is good!!! wow - writing a novel. very impressive! i love these swap questionnaires. it is such a great way to find out things about people.
btw - my walkman is PINK. i believe it is 1GB. i'm slowly loading her up with music (some of which scares my husband... hahaha!!!)

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

Ruby the Ewe. Love it.