"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day Four: 31st March. Where are they now?

Whatever happened to your __________?

Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.

There are a lot of different aspects to look at when looking back at a knitting project and it can make for interesting blogging, as much of the time we blog about items recently completed, new and freshly completed. It is not so often that we look back at what has happened to these items after they have been around for a while.

How has one of your past knits lived up to wear. Maybe an item has become lost. Maybe you spent weeks knitting your giant-footed dad a pair of socks in bright pink and green stripes which he then ‘lost’. If you have knit items to donate to a good cause, you could reflect on the was in which you hope that item is still doing good for it’s owner or the cause it was made to support.

This is a fun topic.  I have made more things that never made it to Ravelry simply due to the fact that I have been knitting a lot longer than the site has been around.  I have made dozens of blankets and I love giving them as much as I did making them.

In my 20's I made my then husband and my brother knitted vests.  I know that my brother wore his well into the 90's.  It was a lovely basic vee neck done up in a tan color.  I got the pattern from a Leisure Arts book that I bought at Lee Wards in Memorial City Mall.  Part of me wants to drag out the booklet again and make some updated versions with the newer yarns.  Good thing I like men's sweater vests too, as my dad and brother are the only two I know would wear them.  I have another brother, but he is not the sewater vest kind of man....

For myself, I am most pleased with my Saraha.  I finished it in this post.  I stopped wearing it shortly after it was complered, as I was too heavy to wear it properly.  As I began to get back into shape and my new lifestyle, I started wearing it more often.  I love to wear it with white shorts in the summer to the Mucky Duck.  It is dressy enough but not too much.  I will be making a new version this year and I expect that I will get as much wear from it as I do the first one.

4 comments:

Amy Darsie said...

That is such a cute sweater vest!

twistedtexan said...

Your Sahara is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Nice work.

heartsy said...

agree (4)

:)