"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, July 12, 2007

The History of Knitting - According to Me....

Alright then, the task at hand is to tell you how and when I started knitting.

My Aunt (paternal) is only eight years older than I am. She was our appointed babysitter until I was old enough. She was "older" and "wiser" than I was. She was crocheting and using twine and such to make these amazing purses. I was eight, so she was sixteen and could drive..... and it was 1970.

She taught me all that she could about crochet until she became a senior in high school and then I was no longer "cool". Of course, like all kids, I made as many things with granny squares until I finally set crochet to the side.

When I was ten, I decided that I needed to knit, because there were so many patterns and I just loved them all. So I saved my money from cutting yards and bout my fist pair of needles, a Coats and Clark Learn to Knit booklet, and a skein of yarn from the local TG&Y store.

I made everything except the mittens and the socks because in Tennessee we didn't have weather cold enough for the yarns called for and I was not able to change the yarns. I made all blankets and baby blankets until my early twenties, when I got pregnant for the first time.

I made the giant leap into baby clothes and I never turned back. I learned to swatch and switch yarns and I been knitting ever since.

I'll post the first baby item I ever made as soon as I get it out of the cedar chest....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember TG&Y! I can't believe you've been knitting since you were a kid. I'm so jealous - I've only been knitting for a little over a year. And it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Anonymous said...

Love your story! My learn to knit story is a fits and starts one...but crochet? Ahh, since I was 6...knitting was taught and re-taught but somehow never picked it up and put it together (so to speak) until three years ago.

Anonymous said...

That is such a lovely story, I can't wait to see the photos of the first baby item.