"I have never felt that anything really mattered but the satisfaction of knowing that you stood for the things in which you believed and had done the very best you could." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, August 27, 2007

SITM Contest #2

Okay, so the second contest is about our favorite yarn.

I had a hard time with this one. I have started this post several times and put it in the draft bucket each time. Why? Because I could not get the wording right.

There are so many yarns available and while I myself am never one to be a yarn snob, I know that some yarns are frowned upon by "superior" knitters. This would be the reason that I have had such a hard time with the post.

My favorite yarn is humble and affordable. I love to use Lion Brand Yarn - Homespun. A few years ago I was laid off and while in the process of job hunting, I was trying to help Wifey plan out Christmas. I told her that I would make afghans and lap throws for our family and friends. She thought that is was a wonderful idea.

I have a pattern that I found called Hot Damn Afghan. I already had some 19 Addi circulars, so I decided to go for it. I cast on 150 sts and used three yarns. I chose Baroque, Gothic, and Lavender Sachet. The blanket was worked with the length in place (150 sts) and I worked across until it was 4 feet. I think that the first one took nine skeins of each color. The second was done with three strands of Arcadia (now discontinued) which was various shades of green with a slight touch of caramel. I made four afghans that year for gifts and the three that were done in the Homespun are still the most discussed.

My Parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on December 25, 2008, and my siblings have asked me to make one of these blankets for them in Cream, Deco, and Rococo. I will be making the swatch in the next few weeks so that it can be mailed to each of them (Sister in NJ, Brother in MD/VA, and Brother in Amarillo) for approval and comments. I'll post the swatch but you will have to go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Wal-Mart, Hancock Fabrics, or Jo-Ann's to feel how soft this yarn is.

2 comments:

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

I actually really like Homespun and Wool-Ease. Both machine washable. I certainly have the potential for yarn snobbery, but there are also some yarns that are just yucky. Soft is good.

Unknown said...

Please, please post a picture. I'm planning an afghan for my dad and want something that goods great, is machine washable and affordable.

I was at Michael's last weekend, and the Homespun had great colors.